Pronunciation: ( —n.prō'test; —v.pru-test', prō'test),[key] —n. 1. an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid: a protest against increased taxation. 2. Com. a. a formal notarial certificate attesting the fact that a check, note, or bill of exchange has been presented for acceptance or payment and that it has been refused.
b. the action taken to fix the liability for a dishonored bill of exchange or note.
3. Law. a. (upon one's payment of a tax or other state or city exaction) a formal statement disputing the legality of the demand.
b. a written and attested declaration made by the master of a ship stating the circumstances under which some damage has happened to the ship or cargo, or other circumstances involving the liability of the officers, crew, etc.
4. Sports.a formal objection or complaint made to an official.
—v.i. 1. to give manifest expression to objection or disapproval; remonstrate.
2. to make solemn or earnest declaration.
—v.t. 1. to make a protest or remonstrance against; object to.
2. to say in protest or remonstrance.
3. to declare solemnly or earnestly; affirm; assert.
4. to make a formal declaration of the nonacceptance or nonpayment of (a bill of exchange or note).
5. Obs.to call to witness.