Pronunciation: (pyoor'u-fī"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/purify.html on line 79 [key]
—v., -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to make pure; free from anything that debases, pollutes, adulterates, or contaminates: to purify metals.
2. to free from foreign, extraneous, or objectionable elements: to purify a language.
3. to free from guilt or evil.
4. to clear or purge (usually fol. by of or from).
5. to make clean for ceremonial or ritual use.
to become pure.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.