Pronunciation: (pûrl),[key] —v.t., v.i. 1. to knit with a reverse stitch.
2. to finish with loops or a looped edging.
—n. 1. a basic stitch in knitting, the reverse of the knit, formed by pulling a loop of the working yarn back through an existing stitch and then slipping that stitch off the needle. Cf. knit (def. 11).
2. one of a series of small loops along the edge of lace braid.
3. thread made of twisted gold or silver wire. Also,pearl.
Pronunciation: (pûrl),[key] —v.i. 1. to flow with curling or rippling motion, as a shallow stream does over stones.
2. to flow with a murmuring sound.
3. to pass in a manner or with a sound likened to this.
—n. 1. the action or sound of purling.
2. a circle or curl made by the motion of water; ripple; eddy.