—n. 1. the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
2. an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
3. determination; resoluteness.
4. the subject in hand; the point at issue.
5. practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose. 6. on purpose, by design; intentionally: How could you do such a thing on purpose? 7. to the purpose, relevant; to the point: Her objections were not to the purpose.
—v.t. 1. to set as an aim, intention, or goal for oneself.
2. to intend; design.
3. to resolve (to do something): He purposed to change his way of life radically.