—n. 1. a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort.
2. something puzzling; a puzzling question, matter, or person.
3. a puzzled or perplexed condition; bewilderment.
4. a crossword puzzle: Did you do the puzzle in the newspaper today? 5. a jigsaw puzzle.
—v.t. 1. to put (someone) at a loss; mystify; confuse; baffle: Her attitude puzzles me. 2. to frustrate or confound, as the understanding; perplex: The problem puzzled him for weeks. 3. to exercise (oneself, one's brain, etc.) over some problem or matter.
4. Archaic.to make intricate or complicated.
—v.i. 1. to be perplexed or confused.
2. to ponder or study over some perplexing problem or matter.
3. puzzle out, to solve by careful study or effort: I was unable to puzzle out the message.