Pronunciation: (koin, kwoin),[key] —n. 1. an external solid angle of a wall or the like.
2. one of the stones forming it; cornerstone.
3. any of various bricks of standard shape for forming corners of brick walls or the like.
4. a wedge-shaped piece of wood, stone, or other material, used for any of various purposes.
5. Print.a wedge of wood or metal for securing type in a chase.
—v.t. 1. to provide with quoins, as a corner of a wall.
2. to secure or raise with a quoin or wedge. Also,coign,coigne.