—v.t. 1. to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.
2. to repeat words from (a book, author, etc.).
3. to use a brief excerpt from: The composer quotes Beethoven's Fifth in his latest work. 4. to cite, offer, or bring forward as evidence or support.
5. to enclose (words) within quotation marks.
6. Com. a. to state (a price).
b. to state the current price of.
—v.i. 1. to make a quotation or quotations, as from a book or author.
2. (used by a speaker to indicate the beginning of a quotation.)
3. quote unquote, so called; so to speak; as it were: If you're a liberal, quote unquote, they're suspicious of you.