Pronunciation: (rā'ting),[key] —n. 1. classification according to grade or rank.
2. assigned position in a particular class or grade, or relative standing, as of a ship or a member of the armed forces.
3. the credit standing of a person or firm.
4. Radio,Television.a percentage indicating the number of listeners to or viewers of a specific program.
5. a designated operating limit for a machine, apparatus, etc., as of voltage, load, or frequency, based on specified conditions.
6. an amount fixed as a rate.
7. Brit.apportioning of a tax.
8. Chiefly Brit.one of the enlisted personnel in the British navy.
Pronunciation: (rā'ting),[key] —n. an angry reprimand or rebuke; scolding.