Pronunciation: (ri-ses', rē'ses),[key] —n. 1. temporary withdrawal or cessation from the usual work or activity.
2. a period of such withdrawal.
3. a receding part or space, as a bay or alcove in a room.
4. an indentation in a line or extent of coast, hills, forest, etc.
5. recesses,a secluded or inner area or part: in the recesses of the palace.
—v.t. 1. to place or set in a recess.
2. to set or form as or like a recess; make a recess or recesses in: to recess a wall. 3. to suspend or defer for a recess: to recess the Senate.