—n. 1. an act or instance of referring.
2. a mention; allusion.
3. something for which a name or designation stands; denotation.
4. a direction in a book or writing to some other book, passage, etc.
5. a book, passage, etc., to which one is directed.
6. See reference mark (def. 2).
7. material contained in a footnote or bibliography, or referred to by a reference mark.
8. use or recourse for purposes of information: a library for public reference. 9. a person to whom one refers for testimony as to one's character, abilities, etc.
10. a statement, usually written, as to a person's character, abilities, etc.
11. relation, regard, or respect: all persons, without reference to age.
—v.t. 1. to furnish (a book, dissertation, etc.) with references: Each new volume is thoroughly referenced. 2. to arrange (notes, data, etc.) for easy reference: Statistical data is referenced in the glossary. 3. to refer to: to reference a file.