—v.t. 1. to bring to a fine or a pure state; free from impurities: to refine metal, sugar, or petroleum. 2. to purify from what is coarse, vulgar, or debasing; make elegant or cultured.
3. to bring to a finer state or form by purifying.
4. to make more fine, subtle, or precise: to refine one's writing style.
—v.i. 1. to become pure.
2. to become more fine, elegant, or polished.
3. to make fine distinctions in thought or language.
4. refine on or upon, to improve by inserting finer distinctions, superior elements, etc.: to refine on one's previous work.