Pronunciation: (ri-flek'shun),[key] —n. 1. the act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
2. an image; representation; counterpart.
3. a fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration.
4. a thought occurring in consideration or meditation.
5. an unfavorable remark or observation.
6. the casting of some imputation or reproach.
7. Physics,Optics. a. the return of light, heat, sound, etc., after striking a surface.
b. something so reflected, as heat or esp. light.
8. Math. a. (in a plane) the replacement of each point on one side of a line by the point symmetrically placed on the other side of the line.
b. (in space) the replacement of each point on one side of a plane by the symmetric point on the other side of the plane.
9. Anat.the bending or folding back of a part upon itself. Also,esp. Brit.,reflexion.