Pronunciation: (rē"in-fôrs'munt, -fōrs'-),[key] —n. 1. the act of reinforcing.
2. the state of being reinforced.
3. something that reinforces or strengthens.
4. Often, reinforcements. an additional supply of personnel, ships, aircraft, etc., for a military force.
5. a system of steel bars, strands, wires, or mesh for absorbing the tensile and shearing stresses in concrete work.
6. Psychol. a. a procedure, as a reward or punishment, that alters a response to a stimulus.
b. the act of reinforcing a response.