Pronunciation: (rē"lak-sā'shun),[key] —n. 1. abatement or relief from bodily or mental work, effort, application, etc.
2. an activity or recreation that provides such relief; diversion; entertainment.
3. a loosening or slackening.
4. diminution or remission of strictness or severity.
5. Math.a numerical procedure for solving systems of equations by successive approximations of the variables.
6. Physics. a. the return of a system undergoing dissipation to an initial state of equilibrium after being displaced from it.
b. the approach to steady-state operation of a system that has undergone dissipation and a change in state or has been subjected to an abrupt periodic disturbance.