—v.t. 1. to transmit or send (money, a check, etc.) to a person or place, usually in payment.
2. to refrain from inflicting or enforcing, as a punishment, sentence, etc.
3. to refrain from exacting, as a payment or service.
4. to pardon or forgive (a sin, offense, etc.).
5. to slacken; abate; relax: to remit watchfulness. 6. to give back: to remit an overpayment. 7. Law.to send back (a case) to an inferior court for further action.
8. to put back into a previous position or condition.
9. to put off; postpone; defer.
10. Obs.to set free; release.
11. Obs.to send back to prison or custody.
12. Obs.to give up; surrender.
—v.i. 1. to transmit money, a check, etc., as in payment.
2. to abate for a time or at intervals, as a fever.
3. to slacken; abate.
—n. Law.a transfer of the record of an action from one tribunal to another, particularly from an appellate court to the court of original jurisdiction.