Pronunciation: (ri-zij'OO-ul),[key] —adj. 1. pertaining to or constituting a residue or remainder; remaining; leftover.
2. Math. a. formed by the subtraction of one quantity from another: a residual quantity. b. (of a set) having complement of first category.
3. of or pertaining to the payment of residuals.
4. Med.remaining in an organ or part following normal discharge or expulsion: residual air. 5. Geol.remaining after the soluble elements have been dissolved: residual soil.
—n. 1. a residual quantity; remainder.
2. Often, residuals. something that remains to discomfort or disable a person following an illness, injury, operation, or the like; disability: His residuals are a weak heart and light-headedness. 3. Math. a. the deviation of one of a set of observations or numbers from the mean of the set.
b. the deviation between an empirical and a theoretical result.
4. Navig.a slight deviation of an adjusted compass on a certain heading.
5. Usually, residuals. additional pay given to a performer for reruns, repeated use of a film, radio or TV commercial, or the like, in which the performer appears.