Pronunciation: (ri-tā'nur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that retains.
2. a servant or attendant who has served a family for many years.
3. Also called cage, separator.Mach.a ring separating, and moving with, balls or rollers in a bearing.
4. Orthodontics. a. a fixed or removable device worn in the mouth to hold the teeth in their new position during the adaptive period after straightening appliances have been removed.
b. Prosthodontics. a part on a bridge or the like by which the bridge is attached to the natural teeth.
Pronunciation: (ri-tā'nur),[key] —n. 1. the act of retaining in one's service.
2. the fact of being so retained.
3. a fee paid to secure services, as of a lawyer.