—v.t. 1. to recover or regain: to retrieve the stray ball. 2. to bring back to a former and better state; restore: to retrieve one's fortunes. 3. to make amends for: to retrieve an error. 4. to make good; repair: to retrieve a loss. 5. Hunting.(of hunting dogs) to fetch (killed or wounded game).
6. to draw back or reel in (a fishing line).
7. to rescue; save.
8. (in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) to make an in-bounds return of (a shot requiring running with the hand extended).
9. Computers.to locate and read (data) from storage, as for display on a monitor.
—v.i. 1. Hunting.to retrieve game.
2. to retrieve a fishing line.
—n. 1. an act of retrieving; recovery.
2. the possibility of recovery.