—adj. 1. moving backward; having a backward motion or direction; retiring or retreating.
2. inverse or reversed, as order.
3. Chiefly Biol.exhibiting degeneration or deterioration.
4. Astron. a. moving in an orbit in the direction opposite to that of the earth in its revolution around the sun.
b. appearing to move on the celestial sphere in the direction opposite to the natural order of the signs of the zodiac, or from east to west. Cf. direct (def. 25).
5. Music.proceeding from the last note to the first: a melody in retrograde motion. 6. Archaic.contrary; opposed.
—v.i. 1. to move or go backward; retire or retreat.
2. Chiefly Biol.to decline to a worse condition; degenerate.
3. Astron.to have a retrograde motion.