Pronunciation: (rig'ur),[key] —n. 1. strictness, severity, or harshness, as in dealing with people.
2. the full or extreme severity of laws, rules, etc.
3. severity of living conditions; hardship; austerity: the rigor of wartime existence. 4. a severe or harsh act, circumstance, etc.
5. scrupulous or inflexible accuracy or adherence: the logical rigor of mathematics. 6. severity of weather or climate or an instance of this: the rigors of winter. 7. Pathol.a sudden coldness, as that preceding certain fevers; chill.
8. Physiol.a state of rigidity in muscle tissues during which they are unable to respond to stimuli due to the coagulation of muscle protein.
9. Obs.stiffness or rigidity. Also,esp. Brit.,rigour.