—n. 1. the outer edge, border, margin, or brink of something, esp. of a circular object.
2. any edge, margin, or frame added to or around a central object or area.
3. the outer circle of a wheel, attached to the hub by spokes.
4. a circular strip of metal forming the connection between an automobile wheel and tire, either permanently attached to or removable from the wheel.
5. a drive wheel or flywheel, as on a spinning mule.
6. Basketball.the metal ring from which the net is suspended to form the basket.
7. Journalism.the outer edge of a usually U-shaped copy desk, occupied by the copyreaders. Cf. slot (def. 5).
8. Metall.(in an ingot) an outer layer of metal having a composition different from that of the center.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with a rim, border, or margin.
2. (of a golf ball or putt) to roll around the edge of (a hole) but not go in.
3. Basketball.(of a basketball) to roll around (the rim of the basket) and not go in.
4. to coat or encrust the rim of (a glass): Rim each cocktail glass with salt.