—v.i. 1. (of a liquid surface) to form small waves or undulations, as water agitated by a breeze.
2. to flow with a light rise and fall or ruffling of the surface.
3. (of a solid surface) to form or have small undulations, ruffles, or folds.
4. (of sound) to undulate or rise and fall in tone, inflection, or magnitude.
—v.t. 1. to form small waves or undulations on; agitate lightly.
2. to mark as if with ripples; give a wavy form to.
—n. 1. a small wave or undulation, as on water.
2. any similar movement or appearance; a small undulation or wave, as in hair.
3. a small rapid.
4. Geol.See ripple mark. 5. a sound, as of water flowing in ripples: a ripple of laughter.