Pronunciation: (rō'lur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that rolls.
2. a cylinder, wheel, caster, or the like, upon which something is rolled along.
3. a cylindrical body, revolving on a fixed axis, esp. one to facilitate the movement of something passed over or around it.
4. a cylindrical object upon which something is rolled up: the roller of a window shade. 5. a hollow, cylindrical object of plastic, stiff net, or the like, upon which hair is rolled up for setting.
6. a cylindrical body for rolling over something to be spread out, leveled, crushed, smoothed, compacted, impressed, inked, etc.
7. any of various other revolving cylindrical bodies, as the barrel of a music box.
8. Metalworking.a person in charge of a rolling mill.
9. a long, swelling wave advancing steadily.
10. a rolled bandage.
Pronunciation: (rō'lur),[key] —n.Ornith. 1. any of several Old World birds of the family Coraciidae that tumble or roll over in flight, esp. in the breeding season.
2. tumbler (def. 9).
3. one of a variety of canaries having a warbling or trilling song.