Pronunciation: (rōm),[key] —n. 1. Harold (Jacob), born 1908, U.S. lyricist and composer.
2. Italian, Roma. a city in and the capital of Italy, in the central part, on the Tiber: ancient capital of the Roman Empire; site of Vatican City, seat of authority of the Roman Catholic Church. 2,600,000.
3. a city in central New York, E of Oneida Lake. 43,826.
4. a city in NW Georgia. 29,654.
5. the ancient Italian kingdom, republic, and empire whose capital was the city of Rome.
6. the Roman Catholic Church.
7. See Roman Catholicism.