Pronunciation: (rOOst),[key] —n. 1. a perch upon which birds or fowls rest at night.
2. a large cage, house, or place for fowls or birds to roost in.
3. a place for sitting, resting, or lodging.
4. rule the roost,to be in charge or control; dominate: It was only too apparent that his grandfather ruled the roost.
—v.i. 1. to sit or rest on a roost, perch, etc.
2. to settle or stay, esp. for the night.
3. come home to roost, (of an action) to revert or react unfavorably to the doer; boomerang: an evil deed that came home to roost and ruined his life.