Pronunciation: (roun'dl),[key] —n. 1. something round or circular.
2. a small, round pane or window.
3. a decorative plate, panel, tablet, or the like, round in form.
4. Also,rondel.Theat.a round piece of colored gelatin or glass placed over stage lights as a color medium to obtain lighting effects.
5. Armor. a. a metal disk that protects the armpit.
b. a metal disk on a hafted weapon or a dagger to protect the hand.
6. Heraldry.a small circular charge.
7. Pros. a. a rondel or rondeau.
b. a modification of the rondeau, consisting of nine lines with two refrains.
8. a round dance.