Pronunciation: (run'u-wā"),[key] —n. 1. a person who runs away; fugitive; deserter.
2. a horse or team that has broken away from control.
3. the act of running away.
4. a decisive or easy victory.
5. a young person, esp. a teenager, who has run away from home.
—adj. 1. having run away; escaped; fugitive.
2. (of a horse or other animal) having escaped from the control of the rider or driver.
3. pertaining to or accomplished by running away or eloping: a runaway marriage. 4. easily won, as a contest: a runaway victory at the polls. 5. unchecked; rampant: runaway prices. 6. Informal.deserting or revolting against one's group, duties, expected conduct, or the like, esp. to establish or join a rival group, change one's life drastically, etc.: The runaway delegates nominated their own candidate.