Pronunciation: (sal'ud), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/salad.html on line 73 [key]
1. a usually cold dish consisting of vegetables, as lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers, covered with a dressing and sometimes containing seafood, meat, or eggs.
2. any of various dishes consisting of foods, as meat, seafood, eggs, pasta, or fruit, prepared singly or combined, usually cut up, mixed with a dressing, and served cold: chicken salad; potato salad.
3. any herb or green vegetable, as lettuce, used for salads or eaten raw.
4. South Midland and Southern U.S.greens.
5. any mixture or assortment: The usual salad of writers, artists, and musicians attended the party.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.