—n. 1. a sortie of troops from a besieged place upon an enemy.
2. a sudden rushing forth or activity.
3. an excursion or trip, usually off the main course.
4. an outburst or flight of passion, fancy, etc.: a sally of anger. 5. a clever, witty, or fanciful remark.
6. Carpentry.a projection, as of the end of a rafter beyond the notch by which the rafter is fitted over the wall plate.
—v.i. 1. to make a sally, as a body of troops from a besieged place.
2. to set out on a side trip or excursion.
3. to set out briskly or energetically.
4. (of things) to issue forth.
Pronunciation: (sal'ē),[key] —n. a female given name, form of Sarah.Also,Sal'lie.