Pronunciation: (sām), [key]
1. identical with what is about to be or has just been mentioned: This street is the same one we were on yesterday.
2. being one or identical though having different names, aspects, etc.: These are the same rules though differently worded.
3. agreeing in kind, amount, etc.; corresponding: two boxes of the same dimensions.
4. unchanged in character, condition, etc.: It's the same town after all these years.
1. the same person or thing.
2. the same kind or category of thing: You're having steak? I'll have the same, but very rare.
3. the very person, thing, or set just mentioned: Sighted sub sank same.
4. all the same,
a. notwithstanding; nevertheless: You don't have to go but we wish you would, all the same.
b. of no difference; immaterial: It's all the same to me whether our team loses or wins.
5. just the same,
a. in the same manner.
b. nevertheless: It was a success, but it could easily have failed, just the same.
6. the same,in the same manner; in an identical or similar way: I see the same through your glasses as I do through mine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.