Pronunciation: (sat'l-īt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/satellite.html on line 73 [key]
1. Astron.a natural body that revolves around a planet; a moon.
2. a country under the domination or influence of another.
3. something, as a branch office or an off-campus facility of a university, that depends on, accompanies, or serves something else.
4. an attendant or follower of another person, often subservient or obsequious in manner.
5. a device designed to be launched into orbit around the earth, another planet, the sun, etc.
1. of, pertaining to, or constituting a satellite: the nation's new satellite program.
2. subordinate to another authority, outside power, or the like: summoned to a conference of satellite nations.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.