—n. 1. any preparation, usually liquid or semiliquid, eaten as a gravy or as a relish accompanying food.
2. stewed fruit, often puréed and served as an accompaniment to meat, dessert, or other food: cranberry sauce. 3. something that adds piquance or zest.
4. Informal.impertinence; sauciness.
5. Slang.hard liquor (usually prec. by the): He's on the sauce again. 6. Archaic.garden vegetables eaten with meat.
—v.t. 1. to dress or prepare with sauce; season: meat well sauced. 2. to make a sauce of: Tomatoes must be sauced while ripe. 3. to give piquance or zest to.
4. to make agreeable or less harsh.
5. Informal.to speak impertinently or saucily to.