—n. 1. a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project.
2. an underhand plot; intrigue.
3. a visionary or impractical project.
4. a body or system of related doctrines, theories, etc.: a scheme of philosophy. 5. any system of correlated things, parts, etc., or the manner of its arrangement.
6. a plan, program, or policy officially adopted and followed, as by a government or business: The company's pension scheme is very successful. 7. an analytical or tabular statement.
8. a diagram, map, or the like.
9. an astrological diagram of the heavens.
—v.t. to devise as a scheme; plan; plot; contrive.