Pronunciation: (sēm),[key] —n. 1. the line formed by sewing together pieces of cloth, leather, or the like.
2. the stitches used to make such a line.
3. any line formed by abutting edges.
4. any linear indentation or mark, as a wrinkle or scar.
5. Knitting.a line of stitches formed by purling.
6. Geol.a comparatively thin stratum; a bed, as of coal.
—v.t. 1. to join with or as if with stitches; make the seam or seams of.
2. to furrow; mark with wrinkles, scars, etc.
3. Knitting.to knit with or in a seam.
—v.i. 1. to become cracked, fissured, or furrowed.
2. Knitting.to make a line of stitches by purling.