Pronunciation: (sen-sā'shun),[key] —n. 1. the operation or function of the senses; perception or awareness of stimuli through the senses.
2. a mental condition or physical feeling resulting from stimulation of a sense organ or from internal bodily change, as cold or pain.
3. Physiol.the faculty of perception of stimuli.
4. a general feeling not directly attributable to any given stimulus, as discomfort, anxiety, or doubt.
5. a mental feeling, esp. a state of excited feeling.
6. a state of excited feeling or interest caused among a number of persons or throughout a community, as by some rumor or occurrence.
7. a cause of such feeling or interest: The new Brazilian movie was the sensation of the film festival.