Pronunciation: (sī'lunt), [key]
1. making no sound; quiet; still: a silent motor.
2. refraining from speech.
3. speechless; mute.
4. not inclined to speak; taciturn; reticent.
5. characterized by absence of speech or sound: a silent prayer.
6. unspoken; tacit: a silent assent.
7. omitting mention of something, as in a narrative: The records are silent about this crime.
8. inactive or quiescent, as a volcano.
9. not sounded or pronounced: The “b” in “doubt” is a silent letter.
10. Motion Pictures.not having spoken dialogue or a soundtrack.
11. Med.producing no symptoms: silent gallstones.
Usually, silents. silent films.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.