Pronunciation: (sin'u-stur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/sinister.html on line 79 [key]
1. threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous: a sinister remark.
2. bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell: his sinister purposes.
3. unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable: a sinister accident.
4. of or on the left side; left.
5. Heraldry.noting the side of an escutcheon or achievement of arms that is to the left of the bearer (opposed to dexter).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.