—v.t. 1. to treat with disdain or contempt, esp. by ignoring.
2. to check or reject with a sharp rebuke or remark.
3. to check or stop suddenly (a rope or cable that is running out).
4. to check (a boat, an unbroken horse, etc.) by means of a rope or line made fast to a fixed object.
5. to pull up or stop abruptly in such a manner.
—n. 1. an act or instance of snubbing.
2. an affront, slight, or rebuff.
3. a sudden check given to a rope or cable running out, a moving boat, or the like.
—adj. 1. (of the nose) short and turned up at the tip.