—n. 1. an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
2. a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
3. the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community: the evolution of human society. 4. a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members: American society. 5. such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form: middle-class society; industrial society. 6. those with whom one has companionship.
7. companionship; company: to enjoy one's society. 8. the social life of wealthy, prominent, or fashionable persons.
9. the social class that comprises such persons.
10. the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.
11. Biol.a closely integrated group of social organisms of the same species exhibiting division of labor.
12. Eccles.an ecclesiastical society.
—adj. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of elegant society: a society photographer.