—adj. 1. yielding readily to touch or pressure; easily penetrated, divided, or changed in shape; not hard or stiff: a soft pillow. 2. relatively deficient in hardness, as metal or wood.
3. smooth and agreeable to the touch; not rough or coarse: a soft fabric; soft skin. 4. producing agreeable sensations; pleasant or comfortable: soft slumber. 5. low or subdued in sound; gentle and melodious: soft music; a soft voice. 6. not harsh or unpleasant to the eye; not glaring: soft light; a soft color. 7. not hard or sharp: soft outlines. 8. gentle or mild: soft breezes. 9. genial or balmy, as climate or air.
10. gentle, mild, warm-hearted, or compassionate: a soft, grandmotherly woman. 11. smooth, soothing, or ingratiating: soft words. 12. not harsh or severe, as a penalty or demand.
13. responsive or sympathetic to the feelings, emotions, needs, etc., of others; tender-hearted.
14. sentimental or flowery, as language: soft, meaningless talk. 15. not strong or robust; delicate; incapable of great endurance or exertion: He was too soft for the Marines. 16. Informal.easy; involving little effort; not difficult, laborious, trying, or severe: a soft job. 17. Informal.easily influenced or swayed; easily imposed upon; impressionable.
18. lenient, permissive, or conciliatory, esp. regarding something that is conceived of as dangerous or threatening: to be soft on Communism. 19. (of water) relatively free from mineral salts that interfere with the action of soap.
20. (of paper money or a monetary system) not supported by sufficient gold reserves or not easily convertible into a foreign currency.
21. (of a market, market condition, or prices) declining in value, volume, profitability, etc.; weak: a soft tourist season. Cf. firm1 (def. 7).
22. (of money) plentiful or available at low interest rates or on easy terms: a soft loan. 23. soft-core.
24. Metall. a. (of a metal) easily magnetized and demagnetized.
b. (of solder) fusing readily.
c. (of a metal or alloy) fully annealed, so as to provide minimum mechanical hardness.
25. Photog. a. (of a photographic image) having delicate gradations of tone.
b. (of a focus) lacking in sharpness.
c. (of a lens) unable to be focused sharply.
26. Phonet. a. (of consonants) lenis, esp. lenis and voiced.
b. (of c and g) pronounced as in cent and gem. c. (of consonants in Slavic languages) palatalized. Cf. hard (def. 38).
27. Mil.(of a missile-launching base) aboveground and relatively unprotected from enemy attack.
28. Aerospace.(of a landing of a space vehicle) gentle; not harmful to the vehicle or its contents: a soft landing on the moon. 29. Physics.(of a beam of particles or electromagnetic radiation) having relatively low energy: soft x-rays. Cf. hard (def. 40).
30. (of a delegate, voter, etc.) not committed to any one candidate.
31. foolish or stupid: soft in the head. 32. (of a detergent) readily biodegradable.
33. be soft on someone,Informal.to be amorously inclined toward a person; have an affection for: He's been soft on her for years.
—n. 1. something that is soft or yielding; the soft part.
—adv. in a soft manner.
—interj. Archaic. 1. be quiet! hush!
2. not so fast! stop!