Pronunciation: (sov'rin-tē, suv'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/sovereignty.html on line 71 [key]
1. the quality or state of being sovereign.
2. the status, dominion, power, or authority of a sovereign; royalty.
3. supreme and independent power or authority in government as possessed or claimed by a state or community.
4. rightful status, independence, or prerogative.
5. a sovereign state, community, or political unit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.