Pronunciation: (spē'kur),[key] —n. 1. a person who speaks.
2. a person who speaks formally before an audience; lecturer; orator.
3. (usually cap.) the presiding officer of the U.S. House of Representatives, the British House of Commons, or other such legislative assembly.
4. Also called loudspeaker. an electroacoustic device, often housed in a cabinet, that is connected as a component in an audio system, its function being to make speech or music audible.
5. a book of selections for practice in declamation.
6. be or not be on speakers,Brit.See speaking (defs. 9, 10).
Pronunciation: (spē'kur),[key] —n. Tris(tram E.), 1888–1958, U.S. baseball player.