Pronunciation: (spī'dur),[key] —n. 1. any of numerous predaceous arachnids of the order Araneae, most of which spin webs that serve as nests and as traps for prey.
2. (loosely) any of various other arachnids resembling or suggesting these.
3. any of various things resembling or suggesting a spider.
4. a frying pan, originally one with legs or feet.
5. a trivet or tripod, as for supporting a pot or pan on a hearth.
6. Mach. a. a part having a number of radiating spokes or arms, usually not connected at their outer ends.
b. Also called cross. (in a universal joint) a crosslike part pivoted between the forked ends of two shafts to transmit motion between them.
7. an evil person who entraps or lures others by wiles.
8. a device attached to a cultivator, for pulverizing the soil.