—n. 1. a malicious, usually petty, desire to harm, annoy, frustrate, or humiliate another person; bitter ill will; malice.
2. a particular instance of such an attitude or action; grudge.
3. Obs.something that causes vexation; annoyance.
4. in spite of, in disregard or defiance of; notwithstanding; despite: She arrived at school on time in spite of the snowstorm.
—v.t. 1. to treat with spite or malice.
2. to annoy or thwart, out of spite.
3. to fill with spite; vex; offend.
4. cut off one's nose to spite one's face. See nose (def. 14).