—v.t. 1. to join together or unite (two ropes or parts of a rope) by the interweaving of strands.
2. to unite (timbers, spars, or the like) by overlapping and binding their ends.
3. to unite (film, magnetic tape, or the like) by butting and cementing.
4. to join or unite.
5. Genetics.to join (segments of DNA or RNA) together.
6. Informal.to unite in marriage: They'll be spliced in June. 7. splice the main brace,Naut. a. to issue a ration of spirits, as grog, to all hands.
b. to drink spirits.
—n. 1. a joining of two ropes or parts of a rope by splicing.
2. the union or junction made by splicing.
3. a joining or junction of two pieces of timber, spar, etc., by overlapping and fastening the ends.
4. a joining of film, electromagnetic tape, or the like.