Pronunciation: (spOOl),[key] —n. 1. any cylindrical piece or device on which something is wound.
2. a small cylindrical piece of wood or other material on which yarn is wound in spinning, for use in weaving; a bobbin.
3. a small cylinder of wood or other material on which thread, wire, or tape is wound, typically expanded or with a rim at each end and having a hole lengthwise through the center.
4. the material or quantity of material wound on such a device.
5. Angling.the cylindrical drum in a reel that bears the line.
—v.t. 1. to wind on a spool.
2. to unwind from a spool (usually fol. by off or out).
3. Computers.to operate (an input/output device) by using buffers in main and secondary storage.