—v.t. 1. to scatter (a liquid, powder, etc.) in drops or particles: She sprinkled powder on the baby. 2. to disperse or distribute here and there.
3. to overspread with drops or particles of water, powder, or the like: to sprinkle a lawn. 4. to diversify or intersperse with objects scattered here and there.
—v.i. 1. to scatter or disperse liquid, a powder, etc., in drops or particles.
2. to be sprinkled.
3. to rain slightly (often used impersonally with it as subject): It may sprinkle this evening.
—n. 1. the act or an instance of sprinkling.
2. something used for sprinkling.
3. Usually, sprinkles. small particles of chocolate, candy, sugar, etc., used as a decorative topping for cookies, cakes, ice-cream cones, and the like.
4. a light rain.
5. a small quantity or number.