Pronunciation: (sprout),[key] —v.i. 1. to begin to grow; shoot forth, as a plant from a seed.
2. (of a seed or plant) to put forth buds or shoots.
3. to develop or grow quickly: a boy awkwardly sprouting into manhood.
—v.t. 1. to cause to sprout.
2. to remove sprouts from: Sprout and boil the potatoes.
—n. 1. a shoot of a plant.
2. a new growth from a germinating seed, or from a rootstock, tuber, bud, or the like.
3. something resembling or suggesting a sprout, as in growth.
4. a young person; youth.
5. sprouts, a. the young shoots of alfalfa, soybeans, etc., eaten as a raw vegetable.
b. See Brussels sprout.