—n. 1. Informal.a potato.
2. a spadelike instrument, esp. one with a narrow blade, as for digging up or cutting the roots of weeds.
3. a chisellike tool for removing bark.
4. a pointed leg or stake for staying or supporting dredging or earth-boring machinery.
5. a short pipe, as for connecting a water pipe with a meter.
6. Surg.an instrument having a dull flattened blade for removing substances or foreign bodies from certain parts of the body, as wax from the ear.
—v.t. 1. to remove with a spud.
2. spud in,to set up earth-boring equipment, esp. for drilling an oil well.