Pronunciation: (stan'lē),[key] —n. 1. Arthur Pen•rhyn Pronunciation: (pen'rin),[key](Dean Stanley) 1815–81, English clergyman and author.
2. Edward George Geoffrey Smith,14th Earl of Derby, 1799–1869, British statesman: prime minister 1852, 1858–59, 1866–68.
3. Francis Edgar, 1849–1918, and his twin brother Free•lanPronunciation: (frē'lun),[key]1849–1940, U.S. inventors and manufacturers: developed steam-powered car.
4. Sir Henry Morton,(John Rowlands) 1841–1904, British journalist and explorer in Africa: led successful search for David Livingstone.
5. Wendell M(eredith), 1904–71, U.S. biochemist: Nobel prize 1946.
6. the capital and principal harbor of the Falkland Islands, in the E part. 1000.
7. Mount, former name of Ngaliema, Mount. 8. a male given name: an Old English family name taken from a placename meaning “stone field.”